The following HU library lending regulations are valid as of September 1st 2021
Article 1 Borrowers
- Borrowers with a HU account (students, employees, course members) are automatically registered.
- Borrowers without a HU account, such as course members, alumni, former HU employees, UU students and employees, secondary school pupils, MBO students and other library users, may apply for a HU Library membershipcard by showing proof of identity.
- HU Library membership is free for all borrowers.
- All borrowers are able to log in to HUGO to view their checkouts and renew and reserve items.
Article 2 Borowing
- Items may be borrowed by presenting a HU student card, The HUB library card or the HUB barcode.
- The number of items which may be borrowed is limitless
- The HU library has three lending periods: 28 days, week loan and day loan.
- It is not permitted to lend borrowed items to third parties.
- Borrowing is not possible when the outstanding amount exceeds €30
Article 3 Check in and renewal
- Borrowed items may be returned at both HU library locations.
- Day loan items must be returned before closing time.
- The lending period of a publication can be renewed up to 12 times. Books borrowed via ILL can be renewed up to 5 times unless recalled by the supplying library.
Renewal is not possible in the following cases:
– day loan items
– material reserved by others
– the outstanding amount exceeds €30
- When the lending period is exceeded, a fine will be charged, see article 4.
Article 4 Fine system
- If the lending period is exceeded, the HU library charges a fine of € 0.35 per item per working day. The fine for day loan items is € 2.50 per item per working day.
- A month after exceeding the lending period, standard replacement costs will be charged. For books this is € 45, for journals € 10 and for other materials € 25. If there is no response to this bill, administrative costs of € 5 per item will be added.
- When an outstanding amount is owed of € 30,00 and up, the borrower is no longer allowed to borrow, renew or reserve publications until the amount is paid.
- Outstanding amounts can be paid at the HU Library desk. It is also possible to pay via iDeal when the outstanding amount is €5 or higher.
Article 5 Reservations
- Publications that are either available at the HU libraries or checked out can be reserved free of charge (with the exception of day loan items)
- Reserved items will stay on hold for 5 working days, from the date of notification.
Article 6 Borrowing at the Utrecht University Library (UUL)
- HU students and staff may borrow material from the Utrecht University Library on the basis of an agreement between the HU Library and the Utrecht University Library.
- Registration takes place individually once material is actually borrowed and not beforehand. The HU student card (for students) or the facility card ( for staff, as well as the HU Library card) and personal and address identification are required upon registration.
Article 7 Interlibrary loan (ILL)
- If a requested publication (book or magazine article) is not available at any of the HU libraries, it is possible to put in a request for publications or copies from magazine articles at other libraries.
- Requesting books and articles is free of charge for (temporary) HU employees.
- Other borrowers pay € 6,50 for an article and € 8 for a book. The costs of an interlibrary request from a library abroad are €17,50.
Article 8 Responsibility
- The person in whose name items are borrowed, remains responsible for the items.
- The borrower has to pay the standard replacement costs for lost or damaged items.
- The HU library is not responsible for damage caused by borrowed items.
- No rights can be derived from our notifications, these are part of the HU Library service.
Article 9 Additional provisions
- The HU library is responsible for protecting the borrower’s personal information, according to the rules and regulations stated in the ‘Algemene verordening gegevensbescherming’ (AVG).
- In cases where these regulations do not apply, the management team of the HU library will decide.
Please contact us via email@example.com or 088-4817125.