The HU Library is accessible to everyone free of charge. HU students and employees are registered as members automatically. Graduates, Oud Goud members and other interested people can request a free membership.
Would you like to borrow material from the HU Library? Come to one of the HU Library locations with your ID. You will be registered as an external member and get a library card. Every year you will receive an email request to extend your free membership. As a member you can use the library’s services, including borrowing books, journals, and other materials. See also the lending regulations.
You can log on to HUGO to reserve and renew materials and see which materials you have borrowed. For your HUGO account, you must first set a username and password. This goes as follows:
- Go to hugo.hu.nl
- Click on Sign in at the top right.
- Click on Log in for external members.
- Click on (re)set password.
- Enter the code on your library card as your username, with the letter A at the beginning and B at the end (for example A501234567B).
- You will receive an email with a link at the email address you provided to the library. Use the link to create a password.
- You can then log in at hugo.hu.nl at the top right with your library card number and the password you chose. After logging in, your first name will be displayed instead of the word “Sign in.” Click there to go to “My Account” where you can, among other things, renew materials.
Books and articles not available in HU Library collection
As an external member you can use our service to request books and articles which are not available in the HU library collection from other libraries (ILL service). There are costs involved.
As an external member, you can come to the Utrecht or Amersfoort library and search several HU databases using a “guest user” account. Go to the library desk and our staff will assist with logging in.
The HU Library is one of the initiators of Podium, HU’s cultural student platform. Podium organizes events for HU students, HU employees and other interested people. Ranging from film screenings to pubquizes, from talk shows to audio tours, from theatre visits to food tastings. As an external member of the HU Library, you are welcome to (most) Podium activities! Look at the website for the events, sign up for the newsletter or follow Podium via Facebook or Instagram.